So this topic is a little overdue because I had a blog tour tag and some urgent fangirling to accomplish, but as I mentioned in my first Book in a Week sum-up post, I tried to rewrite a beloved old novel during the first week of July.
Perhaps some of you were wondering, “Well, how did that go?”
And the answer to that is: NOT as well as my first attempt at Book in a Week.
I made it to 50,000 words by Day 7, but I’m going to have to rein in some of the enthusiasm I’d had during my first try, in which I wrote 30,000 words in 3 days, when I said it was so easy etc.
I made it. But it took a lot more forcing myself, and went way slower than last time, which I guess just proves that the process of writing every book is different. Some stories flow off your fingertips, others cling to your knuckles for dear life and require some…persuading.
It actually got so blah during one part of the middle that I stopped keeping tangible records, for which I am terribly sorry. I know you all looked forward to that detailed list.
Instead, here are the total word counts for each day, taken from the Camp NaNoWriMo website (which I think I kept updated…
Day 1 – 7,641
Day 2 – 13,895
Day 3 – 20,544
Day 4 – 28,380
Day 5 – 34,445
Day 6 – 42,210
Day 7 – 50,481
And then I moped around and finished the draft a few days ago at 62,628 words total.
All in all, I wrote about 7k a day, but some days those words really scraped…
Probably in part because the WIP is something I’ve been struggling with since 2009 anyway, and by its very nature it resists being awesome.
That said, I still wrote—I would go so far as to say—a frick ton compared to what I usually write daily, and I got a new draft of a nagging story out of the way quickly, freeing me up to revise other things.
All in all, for the purposes I wanted it for, I’d call my second Book in a Week successful.
Other than the record-keeping part, I mean.